Saturday, October 17, 2009

the heat is on

Ahhhhhhhhhhh......I feel the heat,,,,I smell the scent of wood being burnt,the wood stove has been fired up...It won't be for long as the temps are suppose to be in the 60's by Tuesday...but for now...the house is damp and a little heat is needed to get the chill out of it..It manages to drift upstairs thru the vents and I can turn the thermostat down on the upper floor as I can feel the heat rising .....
I had a restless night sleeping last night...I had a ice pack on my knee and sometime in the middle of the night I awoke chilled to the bone...Not wanting to get up I cowered under my afghan and debated on turning off my little electric ice box...Tonight I will elect not to use it as it is going to be even colder...I managed to lie awake,,in what seemed an endless hour, as I listened to the grandfather clock ticking and chiming on each quarter of the hour....Finally I decided at 5;30 I had squirmed and wiggled enough so I crawled out from under neath my cover to a chilling room as I had turned down the thermostat down last night and forgot to turn it back up.
I had my breakfast fixed by the man in the house as he doesn't miss a breakfast..he insists that you have to start out the day with a good breakfast.......Only thing is he gets two eggs, toast ,bacon sausage and a bowl of cereal..and my breakfast consist of a meager slice of bacon cut in two which is two pieces to him but in reality one slice..and I always have a piece of toast ..I was getting an egg, but the past couple of mornings I have declined the egg........my choice..so my breakfast got skimpier.Oh well...All this laying around and I don't need to be gorging myself anyways.At my age I can gain weight too easily.Since the surgery I have managed to lose around 13 lb. and I'd like to continue that direction and strive to lose around 15 more...Doesn't seem like much til you try to shed it....And even worse its going into the holiday season,,which I'd like to get out into a store and pick up a few things for the grandbabies..the four year old wants a baby alive boy doll....She has a room full of doll babies but she always sees another she wants..so maybe in a couple weeks I will attempt to start picking up a few gifts at a time.maybe..Gift cards might be a bigger part of Christmas if shopping is limited..In this day and time I guess everyone would rather have cash and it seems like its a lot easier then trying to pick out gifts..that they don't or wont like anyways...
I do remember last night having my pickle and peanut butter and this time I do remember eating it.two pickles at that...How's that for progress after the night before....
We have the 7 year old here and he has a bug of some sorts..the dr..said a strain of flu..when asked about swine flu ,,he said the swine flu is just a more severe form of the regular flu...so now if some doctors are saying that it is no big deal ,,then what is all the fuss about how bad the swine flu is....I ..along with many others I have talked to cannot figure it out...Doctors orders are to keep them in the house ..not to be outdoors..no milk or pop and drink plenty of juices and water...so I made him a bed on the opposite end of this big ol wrap around couch and I am on the other..This couch must be 15 or 16 foot long but it sure takes up my whole living room...This one end has been my command post since I have had surgery...I hate furniture you cant move and this would definitely be considered one of those pieces...As far as I am concerned I would like to have wheels on EVERYTHING,,,,so I can move it when I want...
Well...it is daylight...dreary dark day...suppose to be rain mixed with snow..in the 30's....Our WV mountaineers from Morgantown play their rival college...Marshall University out of Huntington...They say it should be a good game starting at 3;30 although it is suppose to be cold...
My nurse that was coming into the home and monitoring my blood work is suppose to come today to release me from their care to start outpatient PT Monday.I can't believe that it will be 4 weeks Tuesday ,,that will be almost a month....Unbelievable that I have that much time behind me..I called my brother last night and he had a knee replacement two years ago...He said after his 6 weeks of Pt was over that he never really had any more problems and he has no pain at all now unless he does something to turn it the wrong way....and the best part is,,,,he said he never did have to do any more exercises but I guess everyone is different as to how their knee mends.....have to just wait and see...I can really get around a lot better as each day goes by...I mostly use my cane now if I feel unsteady or in the morning when I get up....or after I do my exercises...when my leg feels a little weak...I went to town with the man in the house yesterday and he took his diesel truck with no side step to get into it..So I had a milk crate I had to step up on to get in..but man oh man ..the truck seat was perfect for the amount of bend I have in my knee or maybe its just getting a little easier with the more PT I do....The Pt told me that my extension is almost zero and when I started pt my flex was 63 and its almost up to 80 now...I'm hoping that sounds good to my outpatient PT because they want you to get your flex to 110 but 120 is really the top number.
ok...I took a pill and I need to sit and exercise my knee...so I'm outta here for the time being.............later........

No comments:

Post a Comment