Tuesday, October 6, 2009

14 days behind me

well....ones too dark and the other too light...but basically this is the way my leg looks two weeks out.................................................................


well...I can recall too vividly of what i was doing at this precise time two weeks ago...waiting in a Little teeny white hospital room getting ready to be hooked up to iv's and routine blood work being done for(((((puke))))) surgery and the spare hand talking to my la sis....Its funny how time crawls when you dont want it too and goes fast when you dont want it too..as soon as said phone was whisked away from me....i think i must have been taken to the bates motel...or their psycho ward...from going to the chopping block and returning to a white bedroom was where my journey began....Everything appeared to go as i assumed was normal...But dont ask me what normal is suppose to be in a hospital..whatever the nurses want it to be as they are in control of the meds...I do remember that first night of surgery at somewheres around 9 p.m. or after..memory foggy on time.....that i called my la sis ..squalling and saying "I thought you said this didnt hurt...well mine sure did....She was livid and from there on out I was probably the orthopedic floor nightmare for that week,,til my release....I still think as soon as they got my wheelchair on the ground floor as i was leaving i could see all the fireworks going off on that floor now that they got their worst patient OUT OF THERE.Day 2 and day 3 seemed to get a little better as i kept repeating i did not want another night like day 1....




between my la (nurse) sister calling them all the time about my meds and anything else they weren't doing right..and my EX..i have to capitalize that one...sister in law spending the next nite to make sure i got that extra push which was extra pain allowed in between the 4 hour percoset if you so needed it..the only problem was if you slept through that time allowance you missed it..so she made sure i was awake and made them give it to me in between the pills...which is the way it was suppose to be..whether i was alert enough to ask for it or not..i got it...PT wasnt too happy...I couldnt stand up on the floor to walk..couldnt keep my eyes open for all the drugs the EX was making sure i was getting..Actually if i had had a little bit more of controlled pain i wouldnt have been seen or heard out of......oh well....i'm just glad that is all behind me..i go back to the knee doctor tomorrow and hope the surgical site looks alright..the nurse yesterday said it looks a lot brownish but maybe that is the way its suppose to be doing....well..lets hope so..dont want this knee re-opened,,,,
and thank goodness the left one is suppose to be alright...
Anyways ,,just getting home from the hospital was controlled pain for me..noone checking on you..up when you want...pills every 4 hrs.when you felt like it....A few obstacles you had to get cleared at first ...and the worst one of all was ((((gross as this may sound))))was getting the back end to work back in a routine.....pain there til you got it back into working right....ol med..called mag=citrus had to do its death defying act on this one....
All in all..I feel a lot better since i've gotten home..I still get winded at times...and fatigue will not allow you to stand no more then what you can..The nurse and PT told me to just get up and do what i had to do then lay back down....so now i try to do a lot of sit down work.My little pink lady..my walker treks around with me and i have a pouch for my phone and glasses , another mesh bag to carry things from one spot to the other hangs on the opposite side so im ready to rock and roll.......I have a cane and crutches if i so need them for a step -down...

Anyhow...I got out of the hospital on Saturday following my surgery...groggy and sleepy ..par to the procedures of what i had done..
No appetite you had...just thirst....so it took me 3- 4 days of munching crackers with my pills and that was enough for me...
ahhhh...then the appetite started to return....now my cook has me 1 egg,,i slice of bacon , 1 toast and coffee for breakfast...its a morning ritual..hey i cant complain...the he in the house has taken over about everything...I feel bad at times....and I try not to ask him to do too much.He has all the outside work to do before winter gets here...firewood...fixing everything that needs to be done before it gets too cold..has to feed my animals...winterize the pool....plus he alternates between trying to paint a whole house and repair whatever needs to be repaired to get it ready to rent....so i try to do what i can for myself....he has a lot to do..
Yes..Now that i am home ,,i try not to think about whats behind me....I'm just hoping said dr. visit goes alright tomorrow and everything is still aligned up with the surgical knee....hey im two weeks out....and i know its going to be a long drawn out process but ive never sat this long at any given time and at times the rest part feels good....
Not that i dont have pain...If i go past my 4 hours depending on what i am doing then ive overworked my leg and id better grab a pain pill..sometimes it takes its own notion to want to burn,itch or whatever to keep me alert.ahh,,,the sad part is...my knee controls me now...what it wants it gets.....and that will probably be the way it will be the rest of my life.

PT is the most important part for knee therapy now...being able to work my knee properly will be weeks down the road...so now i am just content to be home ..to regulate my own pain...and i know with each slow passing day that my knee will have to be getting better....i'm waiting.What choices do i have...I am at my knees beck and call....
"and it calling me now...............later guys................

1 comment:

  1. Lookin good and you are adjusting well to the slow down that will be your life for the next year!
    Hang in there, rest a lot and eat those Percosets when needed!

    ReplyDelete